I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus

"I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" is an American Christmas song with music and lyrics by Tommie Connor.

The original recording by Jimmy Boyd reached number one on the Billboard charts in 1952, and on the Cash Box chart at the beginning of the following year. The song was commissioned by Neiman Marcus to promote the store's Christmas card for the year, which featured an original sketch by artist Perry Barlow, who drew for The New Yorker for many decades.

The song describes a scene where a child creeps down from his bedroom to see his mother kissing "Santa Claus" (presumably his father in a Santa Claus costume) underneath the mistletoe.

Boyd's record was condemned by the Roman Catholic Church in Boston when it was released on the grounds that it mixed kissing with Christmas, ignoring the fact that mistletoe, under which many couples kiss, is traditionally hung in many homes during the Christmas season. Boyd, aged 13, was photographed meeting with the Archdiocese to explain the song. After the meeting, the ban was lifted






I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause (Lyrics and Chords
recorded by Brenda Lee
written by Tommie Connor
G D7 G
I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus
D7
Underneath the mistletoe last night
G
She didn't see me creep down the stairs to have a peek
A7 D7
She thought that I was tucked up in my Bedroom fast asleep

G D7 G
Then I saw mommy tickle Santa Claus
C
Underneath his beard so snowy white
D7
What a laugh it would have been
G D7
If daddy had only seen
G D7 G
Mommy kissing Santa Claus last night

D7 G
I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus
D7
Underneath the mistletoe last night
G
She didn't see me creep down the stairs to have peek
A7 D7
She thought that I was tucked up in my Bedroom fast asleep

repeat #2

D7 G D7 G
Mommy kissing Santa Claus last night